History

Wilson Prairie View Farm was purchased in in the 1870′s by John and Jeannie Wilson. The land, originally owned by Palmer Gardner who homesteaded on the land in 1836, is located just outside Burlington, WI in Walworth County. The Wilsons were first generation immigrants from Scotland. Their son Robert and his wife Grace raised Western lambs, feeding out up to 8,000 to 10,000 animals annually.

In the early 1940′s the next generation took over the reins of the farm.  In 1943 Ralph Wilson, son of Robert and Grace, bought his first Hampshire hogs. He later added additional breeds of hogs including Yorkshire, Landrace, Durocs and Crosses.  Ralph, his wife Jeanette Niles Wilson and their children Jan, Scott and Julie  continued to raise prize winning hogs on the 500 acre farm until Ralph’s recent passing.

Ralph’s son Scott currently manages the the operations of the Wilson Prairie View Farm. Scott’s son Alex is also involved in the day to day operations of the hog farm.

Scott’s primary energy is focused on the breeding and care of the herds. Wilson’s Prairie View Farms is the only SPF certified Hog operation in the State of Wisconsin meaning that Wilson’s hogs are disease free and rigorously tested to maintain the integrity of the herds.  Much of the feeds are raised on the farm and include corn and soybeans. Wilson’s continue to sell their top quality stock all over the country.

In 2003, Scott purchased the Elkhorn Locker Plant in Elkhorn, WI. Renamed “Wilson Farm Meats”, services include custom butchering, processing and packaging which is provided to the delight of local customers seeking locally raised meat.  All popular cuts of meat are available fresh and frozen along with delectable varieties of bacon, ham, bratwurst, summer sausage, liver sausage and other specialty meats.